A Real-World Checklist
Social Media is pretty polarizing. People either love it or hate it. And most folks know that it is something that they need to “do” to effectively market their business or project.
There are hundreds of articles on the interwebz about the best platforms and how to use them. I’ll spare you the Instagram Gold or the Twitter is Dead lecture.
Presented instead is a quick-n’-dirty checklist of some things you can do NOW to boost your current and future social status.
Keep using the platform you’re most comfortable with until it feels natural. When one feels like second nature, you can add another platform.
Schedule the next two weeks of social via programs like Tweetdeck or Hootsuite.
Dedicate 30 minutes every other day to tweet/post/upload in real-time. This balance will feel engaging, full, and dynamic.
Themes to live by:
- Be more concerned with letting people know your comings, goings, and doings in advance (speaking, leading a workshop, working with a client) than with "Live Tweeting."
- Post A LOT about what those ‘doings’ include. Why are you where you are? What kind of people you’re talking to? What's your "big idea?"
- Focus your efforts on meaningful engagement and light-hearted promotion. Use a Human-to-Human approach to your voice and tone.
- Pay strict attention to the hashtags from your industry and talk back to people. DO MORE THAN RETWEET! What would your business say to that person in a live conversation?
- Have virtual water cooler conversations with as many people as possible. Focus on those topics most germane to your work.
- Seek out twenty new people to follow and engage with. Find people who are interesting to you. Break out of your specific industry and explore hot brands. Find people you can’t wait to talk to in the future, killer brands that make your pulse quicken.
- Start a list of "Brands That are Slaying the Game Right Now." Add the 20 people from above and commit to growing that list to 100 by next month.
- Ask a question. If you can't think of anything, use this: "If you could wave a magic wand and change one thing about the way you brought on your last employee or client, what would it be?" Tag thought leaders in your network.
- Post a #FunFact about the thing(s) happening in your industry today that fascinates you the most.
Love the system? Stay consistent and add the consecutive two-week planning to your to-do list. Before long, you’ll have a consistent voice on your favorite social platforms.
Share with us your triumphs and tribulations around building your social status by tweeting us at @Sisarina or by joining our private Facebook community Brands That Rock.